Purdue advances with strong defenseMar 20, 2011 - 9:36 PM Storrs, CT (Sports Network) - Brittany Rayburn scored 21 points to lead the ninth-seeded Purdue Boilermakers to a 53-45 victory over the eighth-seeded Kansas State Wildcats in first-round action of the NCAA Tournament.
Drey Mingo added 16 points for Purdue (21-11), which will clash with top- seeded UConn in round two.
Brittany Chambers posted 18 points in defeat for Kansas State (21-11), which also received 16 points from Taelor Karr.
Kansas State didn't score a single point in the first seven minutes of the game, and Purdue led 25-17 at intermission.
The key for Purdue in the decisive second half was a 9-0 run that broke a 36-36 tie.
The Boilermakers finished the contest with a 14-1 advantage in points from the foul line, overshadowing a 42-27 rebounding disadvantage.
- PURDUE: 53
KANSAS STATE: 45
Mar 20 4:13 PM
- PURDUE: 25
KANSAS STATE: 17
Mar 20 3:01 PM
- PURDUE: 0
KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 20 2:20 PM
- Mitchell powers South Carolina into Sweet 16 with 73-47 win Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Kansas St.-South Carolina Preview Mar 19
- Top seeded South Carolina led by dominating duo in NCAA play Mar 19
- Kansas State gets 1st NCAA tournament win since 2012 Mar 18
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Kansas St.-George Washington Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Baylor wins at least share of sixth-straight Big 12 crown Feb 27
- Sanders sparks No. 8 Texas to 58-51 win over Kansas State Feb 17