Explosive Oklahoma knocks off James MadisonMar 20, 2011 - 9:36 PM Charlottesville, VA (Sports Network) - Whitney Hand posted 24 points to lead the sixth-seeded Oklahoma Sooners to an 86-72 triumph over the 11th-seeded James Madison Dukes in first-round action of the NCAA Tournament.
Danielle Robinson pitched in 19 points for Oklahoma (22-11), which advances to the second round to face third-seeded Miami-Florida.
Dawn Evans tallied 20 points in the setback for James Madison (26-8), but the standout performer shot just 7-of-27 from the field. The Dukes haven't won an NCAA Tournament game since 1991.
Oklahoma led 41-28 at intermission and opened the second half with a 12-6 run to seemingly pull away. James Madison did manage to fight back and cut its deficit to six points, but the Dukes could get no closer.
The Sooners received 17 points from Aaryn Ellenberg, while teammate Joanna McFarland posted 10 points and 15 rebounds.
The Dukes got 16 points from Tarik Hislop and 14 points from Lauren Jimenez.
- JAMES MADISON: 72
Mar 20 4:46 PM
- JAMES MADISON: 28
Mar 20 3:29 PM
- JAMES MADISON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 20 2:45 PM
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- James Madison beats Drexel 60-46 to win CAA, earn NCAA berth Mar 12
- James Madison women win third straight CAA championship Mar 12
- Jones leads No. 4 Baylor in 84-57 win over No. 24 Oklahoma Mar 6
- No. 24 Oklahoma women top rival OSU 61-43 in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- No. 24 Oklahoma women beat Texas Tech 70-60 Mar 1