Ohio State claims its spot in the Sweet 16Mar 22, 2011 - 3:44 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Jantel Lavender's double-double of 21 points and 11 rebounds led the way for Ohio State, as the fourth-seeded Buckeyes defeated the fifth-seeded Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at St. John's Arena.
Samantha Prahalis added 16 points and eight assists for Ohio State (24-9), which will now take on Tennessee in the Sweet 16. Tayler Hill and Ashley Adams posted 11 and 10 points, respectively, in the win.
Metra Walthour netted 15 points for Georgia Tech (24-11), while Sasha Goodlett and Tyaunna Marshall tallied 12 points apiece.
The Yellow Jackets only shot 43.8 percent from the floor in the first half, but still managed to take a 30-29 lead into the break.
Ohio State responded in the second stanza with a sizzling 63.6 percent shooting effort.
The Buckeyes finished with a 59.5 percent shooting effort and also made 14- of-18 attempts from the foul line.
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3