Lady Vols advance to Sweet 16Mar 22, 2011 - 2:21 AM Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - Meighan Simmons scored 18 points to lead the Tennessee Lady Vols to a 79-70 victory over the Marquette Golden Eagles in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Thompson-Boling Arena.
Glory Johnson added 16 points for the top-seeded Lady Vols (33-2), who will now square off against Ohio State in the Sweet 16. Alicia Manning tallied 11 points, while Shekinna Stricklen posted a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.
Angel Robinson registered 19 points, eight assists and six rebounds for Marquette (24-9), while Tatiyana McMorris finished with 15 points. Jasmine Collins scored 14 points off the bench, while Paige Fiedorowicz chipped in 12 points, to go along with nine boards.
The Lady Vols took a 39-35 lead into the break after posting a 50.0 percent shooting effort over the first 20 minutes of action.
Tennessee continued its sharp shooting in the second stanza, as the team shot 53.8 percent en route to the win.
Tennessee scored 16 points off of Marquette's 11 turnovers.
- MARQUETTE: 70
Mar 21 8:57 PM
- MARQUETTE: 35
Mar 21 7:44 PM
- MARQUETTE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 21 7:06 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21