Notre Dame advances to Sweet 16 for 10th timeMar 22, 2011 - 5:46 AM Salt Lake City, UT (Sports Network) - Devereaux Peters registered a double- double with 17 points and a team-high 12 rebounds as the Notre Dame Fighting Irish dismissed the Temple Owls, 77-64, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Huntsman Center.
Also scoring in double figures for the second-seeded Irish (28-7) were Natalie Novosel with 17 points, Skylar Diggins 15 and seven assists, followed by Becca Bruszewski and Natalie Achonwa with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
The 10th-seeded Owls (24-9) were paced by Shey Peddy with a game-high 21 points, followed by Kristen McCarthy with 16 points before fouling out. Natasha Thames recorded a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 14 rebounds, but she shot only 4-of-11 from the free-throw line in the losing effort.
Temple led by a point early on, but with just 33.3 percent shooting from the floor in the first half the team found itself trailing by 12 at the break, 41-29.
In the second half the Owls had a chance to keep pace with Notre Dame, but the squad shot a mere 10-of-21 at the free-throw line in the frame and ended up with the 13-point defeat.
The Irish, who had their own issues at the charity stripe (16-of-25), outscored Temple in the paint 44-20 in order to overcome 19 turnovers on the night.
With the victory the Irish advance to the Sweet 16 where they will face off against the winner of the Oklahoma/Miami-Florida matchup on Saturday in Dayton.
- TEMPLE: 64
NOTRE DAME: 77
Mar 21 11:43 PM
- TEMPLE: 29
NOTRE DAME: 41
Mar 21 10:24 PM
- TEMPLE: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 21 9:41 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5