Louisville advances to Sweet 16Mar 23, 2011 - 4:40 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Shoni Schimmel scored a career-high 33 points to lead the seventh-seeded Louisville Cardinals past the second-seeded Xavier Musketeers, 85-75, in a second round NCAA Tournament matchup from the Cintas Center.
Monique Reed scored 13 points for the Cardinals (22-12), who advanced to play Gonzaga, while Tia Gibbs had 12 points, six assists and seven steals, and Charmaine Tay and Becky Burke added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Xavier (29-3) was led by Amber Harris' 20 points, while Tyeasha Moss contributed 17 points and six assists, Katie Rutan had 15 points and Ta'Shia Phillips finished with 11 points and eight boards.
Despite shooting 53.6 percent from the field over the first 20 minutes of play, Louisville found itself trailing 40-37 at the break.
The Cardinals reeled off 48 second half points, however, powered by an 18- of-22 performance from the charity stripe and 4-of-8 shooting from three-point range.
In all, Lousiville outscored Xavier 20-7 from the foul line.
- LOUISVILLE: 85
Mar 22 9:08 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 37
Mar 22 7:54 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 22 7:12 PM
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- Louisville tops Central Arkansas 87-60, Hines-Allen Mar 18
- Cent. Arkansas-Louisville Preview Mar 17
- NCAA games in Louisville match 4 teams on late-season rolls Mar 17
- Louisville coach writes to fans' bosses about skipping work Mar 16
- No. 17 Syracuse women beat No. 7 Louisville 80-75 in ACCs Mar 5
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- No. 10 Louisville women coast to 65-36 win over Pitt Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25
- Hines-Allen leads No. 11 Louisville women past BC 55-45 Feb 21