Rodgers' career-high powers GeorgetownMar 23, 2011 - 3:15 AM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Sugar Rodgers scored a career-high 34 points as the fifth-seeded Georgetown Hoyas downed the fourth-seeded Maryland Terrapins, 79-57, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament from the Comcast Center.
Rubylee Wright and Monica McNutt each added 14 points for the Hoyas (24-10), who advanced to face top-seeded Connecticut, while Alexa Roche had 10 points.
Maryland (24-8) was paced by Alyssa Thomas' 23 points and 14 boards, while Laurin Mincy had 12 points and Lynetta Kizer recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Georgetown jumped out to a 40-26 halftime lead behind a 10-of-15 performance from beyond the arc.
The Hoyas then knocked down 22-of-24 second half free throws to earn the victory.
In all, Georgetown shot 52 percent three-point range and 85.7 percent from the charity stripe.
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 6 Maryland past Wisconsin, 83-77 Feb 25
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21