Cardinal back in Final Four after knocking off GonzagaMar 29, 2011 - 4:13 AM Spokane, WA (Sports Network) - Nnemkadi Ogwumike's double-double of 23 points and 11 rebounds led the way for Stanford, as the top-seeded Cardinal defeated the 11th-seeded Gonzaga Bulldogs, 83-60, in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament.
Chiney Ogwumike added a double-double of her own, finishing with 18 points and 15 rebounds for Stanford (33-2), which is headed to its fourth consecutive Final Four. Jeanette Pohlen and Lindy La Rocque contributed 17 and 11 points, respectively for the Cardinal, who have won a school record 27 straight contests.
Courtney Vandersloot led the way for Gonzaga (31-5), registering 25 points, while dishing out nine assists. Kayla Standish posted 17 points, while Katelan Redmon chipped in 11 points in the loss.
Vandersloot recorded 18 straight points for Gonzaga during a nine minute stretch in the opening half, but even with the guard's tremendous play the Cardinal went into the break with a 47-38 lead over the Bulldogs.
It only got worse from there, as Stanford buckled down defensively over the final 20 minutes of action, limiting Gonzaga to just 8-of-34 shooting from the floor in the second stanza.
Stanford, which will take on either Baylor or Texas A&M in the Final Four, held the Bulldogs to just 33.8 percent shooting in the contest.
- GONZAGA: 60
Mar 28 11:03 PM
- GONZAGA: 38
Mar 28 9:56 PM
- GONZAGA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 28 9:15 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18