Sykes leads No. 10 Rutgers over SyracuseJan 4, 2012 - 4:54 AM Piscataway, NJ (Sports Network) - April Sykes scored 14 points Tuesday and No. 10 Rutgers beat Syracuse, 55-44, in its first Big East game of the season.
Khadijah Rushdan added 13 points for the Scarlet Knights (12-2, 1-0 Big East), who have won three in a row.
Iasia Hemingway had 14 points to lead Syracuse (11-5, 0-2) and Carmen Tyson- Thomas scored 12 with a game-high 10 rebounds.
The Orange, who lost their Big East opener to West Virginia on December 7, had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Rutgers led 28-20 at halftime, but the game was tied with less than eight minutes to go before Rushdan's layup sparked an 11-1 run that put the Scarlet Knights in control.
Rushdan capped the burst with a free throw, making it 47-37 with 5:59 left and it was never closer than six points after that.
- SYRACUSE: 44
Jan 3 11:02 PM
- SYRACUSE: 28
Jan 3 9:50 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 3 9:15 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Syracuse women reach new heights under Coach Q Mar 31
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26