Hurricanes hand fifth-ranked Terps first loss of seasonJan 13, 2012 - 3:29 AM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Riquna Williams scored a game-high 34 points, as No. 13 Miami-Florida upset No. 5 Maryland, 75-63, on Thursday.
Stefanie Yderstrom added 12 points, while Morgan Stroman had 10 and eight rebounds for the Hurricanes (14-3, 3-1 ACC), who extended their home win streak to 34 games.
Alyssa Thomas scored 18 points for the previously undefeated Terrapins (16-1, 3-1), while Tianna Hawkins had 12 points and 11 boards and Anjale Barrett added 10 points.
Maryland was off to its best start since beginning the 2006-07 campaign 18-0 and preserved its flawless record with a pair of hard-fought conference victories over the weekend. But on Thursday the Terrapins found themselves on the losing end of another tight affair.
They overcame a 20-point deficit to down Georgia Tech 77-74 on Friday, then followed with a 78-72 overtime victory over North Carolina on Sunday.
Against Miami-Florida, a 27-25 halftime lead reached 35-28 on Thomas' layup early in the second. The Hurricanes, who led by as many as 12 in the early going, rallied to tie the game at 44 on Williams' trey with just over 13 minutes remaining.
Maryland led 56-54 with just under six minutes left, but Williams continued her onslaught from beyond, connecting on two more threes for a 60-56 advantage. The Hurricanes would not relinquish the lead, closing on a 15-7 run to seal the win.
- MARYLAND: 63
Jan 12 8:49 PM
- MARYLAND: 27
Jan 12 7:49 PM
- MARYLAND: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 7:11 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4