St. John's takes down No. 7 RutgersJan 18, 2012 - 3:18 AM Queens, NY (Sports Network) - Eugeneia McPherson scored 17 points to help the St. John's Red Storm take down the seventh-seeded Rutgers Scarlet Knights, 62-57.
Nadirah McKenith added 15 points and six rebounds for the Red Storm (12-7, 4-2 Big East), who have won five of six. Shenneika Smith tallied 14 points and eight boards.
Khadijah Rushdan ended with 16 points, eight rebounds, six assists and two blocks for the Scarlet Knights (15-3, 4-1), who had a six-game winning streak snapped. Monique Oliver had 14 points and five boards.
Down by six, 26-20, at the break, the Red Storm scored the first six points of the second half to tie the game.
Holding a 44-41 lead with 5:17 to play, St. John's ripped off six straight points to create some distance. McKenith's two free throws with four minutes remaining made it a 50-41 contest.
Rutgers kept within striking distance and cut its deficit to 57-55 on Rushdan's three-point play with 22 seconds to go.
McPherson made 1-of-2 from the line at the other end to make it a three-point game. It was a 60-57 game after each team made a pair of free throws.
April Sykes missed a three-pointer with 10 seconds left that would have tied the game. McKenith made two free throws to seal the victory for the Red Storm.
- RUTGERS: 57
ST. JOHN'S: 62
Jan 17 9:05 PM
- RUTGERS: 26
ST. JOHN'S: 20
Jan 17 7:52 PM
- RUTGERS: 0
ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 17 7:06 PM
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women beat Creighton for trip to NCAA tourney Mar 8
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State women over Rutgers 70-67 Feb 18
- Harry Perretta wins 699th game as Villanova beats St. John's Feb 12
- January sparks No. 23 DePaul women past St. John's 77-71 Jan 31
- Mitchell scores 22, No. 7 Ohio State beats Rutgers Jan 24
- No. 21 Michigan State women top Rutgers 59-48 after big run Jan 19