No. 9 Tennessee tops LSUJan 20, 2012 - 3:41 AM Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - Meighan Simmons poured in a game-high 19 points and pulled down five rebounds as ninth-ranked Tennessee knocked off LSU, 65-56, on Thursday.
Cierra Burdick added 15 points and six boards and Glory Johnson chipped in with 10 points and six rebounds for the Lady Vols (14-4, 5-1 SEC), who have won two straight since losing to Kentucky on January 12. Vicki Baugh grabbed 14 rebounds to go with six points for Tennessee.
Courtney Jones led the Lady Tigers (13-5, 4-2) with 16 points and eight rebounds, while Adrienne Webb had 12 points and five rebounds. LSU has lost two consecutive games.
With the game tied at 49 with less than seven minutes to play, Tennessee began to put some distance between itself and the Lady Tigers, using an 11-4 spurt to open up a 60-53 edge with under three minutes to play.
A jumper by Webb with less than two minutes left pulled LSU within 62-56, but LSU didn't score again and Johnson and Ariel Massengale sank free throws with under a minute to play to account for the final score.
After a closely-played opening 20 minutes, the game was tied at 26 at the break.
A pair of free throws by Simmons allowed Tennessee to open up a 47-39 lead, but the Lady Tigers responded with a 10-2 run to pull even at 49 with just under seven minutes left.
- LSU: 56
Jan 19 9:12 PM
- LSU: 26
Jan 19 7:57 PM
- LSU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 19 7:07 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21