Hurricanes roll past Tar HeelsFeb 9, 2012 - 3:09 AM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Shenise Johnson scored 19 points and Riquna Williams netted 17 to pace No. 6 Miami-Florida as it defeated No. 22 North Carolina, 61-37, at BankUnited Center on Wednesday.
The Hurricanes (21-3, 10-1 ACC) also got 10 points from Stefanie Yderstrom as they won their 38th straight home game and 10th in a row overall.
Laura Broomfield had seven points and six rebounds and Chay Shegog added six points and six boards for North Carolina, (17-7, 7-4) which has lost two straight after winning its previous five.
Miami-Florida jumped out on a 17-4 run over the first eight minutes of the game, as the Hurricanes maintained a 32-22 lead at halftime.
The Tar Heels missed both of their three-point attempts, while the Hurricanes hit 4-of-10 from long range in the first half.
The Hurricanes used 35 Tar Heel turnovers to create 39 points off turnovers as they cruised to a 24-point victory.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 37
Feb 8 8:55 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 22
Feb 8 7:50 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 8 7:10 PM
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25
- Hof leads No. 18 Miami women to 67-56 OT win over Va Tech Feb 21
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 3 Notre Dame women rout No. 19 Miami 90-69 Feb 14
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11