No. 6 Miami-Florida edges No. 8 MarylandFeb 12, 2012 - 10:39 PM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Stefanie Yderstrom poured in a game-high 26 points and No. 6 Miami-Florida edged eighth-ranked Maryland, 76-74, on Sunday.
Shenise Johnson netted 20 points and pulled down seven rebounds to go with seven steals and Riquna Williams added 15 points and three steals for the Hurricanes (22-3, 11-1 ACC), who extended their winning streak to 11 games.
Tianna Hawkins dropped in 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Terrapins (21-4, 8-4), while Lynetta Kizer added 16 points and 12 rebounds. Anjale Barrett and Alyssa Thomas donated 12 points apiece for Maryland, which had its three-game winning streak stopped.
Trailing 66-60 with around six minutes to go, Miami went on an 11-4 run, capped by a Johnson jumper, to take a 71-70 lead with just over two minutes to go.
Barrett put home a layup to put Maryland up by one, but Sylvia Bullock answered with a bucket on the other end to make it 73-72 Miami with 39 seconds to play.
Johnson made two clutch free throws to expand the Miami advantage to three, and Williams added one more from the charity stripe to put the Hurricanes up 76-72 with eight seconds to go.
Hawkins scored a layup to cut the deficit to two, but it was too late.
After a tight opening half in which neither team led by more than five points, Maryland scored the final four points to lead 38-33 at the break.
- MIAMI: 76
Feb 12 4:51 PM
- MIAMI: 33
Feb 12 3:36 PM
- MIAMI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 12 2:51 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4