Maryland cruises over North CarolinaFeb 25, 2012 - 3:59 AM Maryland to an easy 84-64 victory over North Carolina at Comcast Center on Friday.
Alicia DeVaughn and Laurin Mincy each came off the bench to score 14 and 13, repectively for Maryland (24-4, 11-4 ACC), which has won two straight and five of its last six.
Chay Shegog led all scorers with 24 points while She'la White chipped in 10 for the Tar Heels (19-9, 9-6), who came in winners of two straight.
Kim Rodgers buried a three-pointer to cap an 11-1 Maryland start as the Terps took advantage of an ugly start for the Tar Heels, who failed to score a field goal for the first five-plus minutes of the half.
The lead would reach as high as 29 after Laurin Mincy nailed a triple to make it a 53-24 game with under a minute still to play in the first half.
The Tar Heels would get the last five points of the half to sneak into the locker room facing an uphill battle, trailing 53-29 at halftime.
The margin ballooned to 33 at its highest point when Thomas finished a layup to make it 75-42 with 9:24 still to play.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 64
Feb 24 10:27 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 29
Feb 24 9:23 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 24 8:35 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 6 Maryland past Wisconsin, 83-77 Feb 25