Wake Forest pulls off upset over Miami-FloridaMar 3, 2012 - 4:18 AM Greensboro, NC (Sports Network) - After top-seeded Duke fell to NC State earlier in the day, Wake Forest pulled off another huge upset, topping second- seeded Miami-Florida, 81-74, in the ACC Tournament at Greensboro Coliseum on Friday.
Secily Ray led the way for seventh-seeded Wake Forest (19-12) with 21 points and eight rebounds, while Chelsea Douglas and Lakevia Boykin netted 18 and 16, respectively. Sandra Garcia added a double-double with 14 points and 10 boards to send Wake Forest to its first ACC-semifinal since 1988.
Wake Forest advances to face third-seeded Maryland on Saturday, as the Terps ousted Virginia in the final quarterfinal matchup.
No. 7 Miami-Florida (25-5) was led by Riquna Williams' 22-point, five-rebound performance. Shenise Johnson and Stefanie Yderstrom each added 18 points for the Hurricanes.
Just as Wake Forest seemed poised to pull away in the second half, Miami- Florida got back-to-back triples from Johnson and Williams during a 15-3 spurt to cut the margin to 62-61 with 6:22 remaining.
A see-saw contest down the stretch found the teams knotted at 68 until Wake Forest got an offensive rebound and putback, and then blocked a shot on the other end and converted the fastbreak layup to take a 72-68 edge with 1:31 still to play.
Wake Forest hit 3-of-4 from the line to take a 75-68 advantage with under a minute left, but the 'Canes got a layup from Shawnice Wilson and then a quick steal and layup by Williams to make it a one-possession game, 75-72 with 26 seconds left.
Douglas made both from the line for Wake Forest and, after Miami came up empty on the other end, Boykin added two more to complete the upset-victory for Wake Forest.
Only three Hurricanes contributed buckets in the first half as Wake Forest used a 13-0 run to take a 38-23 lead heading into the locker room.
- WAKE FOREST: 81
Mar 2 8:08 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 38
Mar 2 6:49 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 2 6:08 PM
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Wake Forest beats Clemson 73-58 in ACC women's tourney Mar 2
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25
- Hof leads No. 18 Miami women to 67-56 OT win over Va Tech Feb 21
- Turner's double-double leads No. 2 Irish past Wake Forest Feb 18
- No. 3 Notre Dame women rout No. 19 Miami 90-69 Feb 14