Penn State rallies to beat Minnesota in Big Ten tourneyMar 3, 2012 - 4:07 AM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Maggie Lucas scored 15 of her 24 points in the second half, as ninth-ranked Penn State rallied to beat Minnesota, 78-74, in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament.
Zhaque Gray added 19 points, while Alex Bentley overcame a 5-for-21 shooting performance in a 12-point, seven-steal night for the Lady Lions (24-5). Nikki Greene tallied 11 points and Mia Nickson 10 for top-seeded Penn State, which will play 21st-ranked Purdue in Saturday's semifinals.
Rachel Banham scored 25 and had nine rebounds for Minnesota (15-17), which beat Wisconsin on Thursday, but blew a 13-point advantage one night later. Kiara Buford ended with 19 points in defeat.
Following a Banham jumper, the eighth-seeded Golden Gophers held a 31-18 lead with 7:55 left in the opening half. It was 36-29 at the break in favor of Minnesota, but Penn State dominated for most of the second half and came out on top despite ending 36.2 percent from the field.
Gray's three-pointer capped a 16-2 spurt to start the second half for Penn State and the Lady Lions upped the margin to 13 midway through the period.
Minnesota got within a pair twice in the final minute, the last time on Banham's long three with 5.6 seconds remaining. Lucas then hit two free throws to account for the final margin.
- MINNESOTA: 74
PENN STATE: 78
Mar 2 8:12 PM
- MINNESOTA: 36
PENN STATE: 29
Mar 2 6:57 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 2 6:08 PM
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Coffey helps Northwestern women top Minnesota 84-74 Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Banham, Minnesota upset No. 5 Ohio State, 90-88 Feb 24
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State over Minnesota 114-106 Feb 21
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Banham got Kobe's attention with 60-point game for Minnesota Feb 10
- Minnesota's Banham ties NCAA record with 60 points Feb 7
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- No. 23 Michigan State women beat Penn State 71-55 Jan 7