Maryland downs Georgia Tech to win ACC titleMar 4, 2012 - 11:45 PM Greensboro, NC (Sports Network) - Alyssa Thomas netted a career-high 29 points, lifting No. 6 Maryland to a 68-65 victory over No. 15 Georgia Tech in the championship game of the ACC Tournament on Sunday.
Lynetta Kizer scored 11 points and Kim Rodgers added 10 for third-seeded Maryland (28-4), which captured its 10th ACC Tournament crown. The Terps have earned the ACC automatic bid in two of the last four seasons.
Tyaunna Marshall posted 25 points while Sasha Goodlett scored 20 with eight rebounds for the fourth-seeded Yellow Jackets (24-8), who were trying to win their first conference title.
Maryland led, 67-65, with nine seconds left as Anjale Barrett stepped to the line with a chance to ice the game. She made just 1-of-2, leaving Georgia Tech one last chance to tie it.
But Marshall's shot at the buzzer was well off the mark,
The Terrapins shot 48 percent in the first half and took a 29-27 lead into the locker room.
- GEORGIA TECH: 65
Mar 4 4:12 PM
- GEORGIA TECH: 27
Mar 4 2:54 PM
- GEORGIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 4 2:09 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27