No. 4 Connecticut advances past No. 23 Rutgers at Big East tourneyMar 5, 2012 - 4:21 AM Hartford, CT (Sports Network) - Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis finished with 17 points, six rebounds and two blocked shots as No. 4 Connecticut downed 23rd- ranked Rutgers, 49-34, in the Big East Tournament quarterfinals.
Stefanie Dolson added 10 points, eight rebounds and four blocked shots for Connecticut (27-4), which shot just 32.7 percent in the game but held Rutgers to a 24.4 percent shooting performance.
Erica Wheeler paced the Scarlet Knights (21-9) with 13 points and Khadijah Rushdan contributed 10 with five rebounds in defeat.
UConn controlled the game form the start, opening the contest with a 19-7 run to jump out to a double-digit lead.
Back-to-back layups by Monique Oliver and Wheeler closed the gap to eight with 6:48 left in the first half, but the Huskies responded with an 11-2 spurt to regain their cushion and Rutgers never got closer than eight for the remainder of the game.
Connecticut will now play St. John's in the semifinals on Monday.
- RUTGERS: 34
Mar 4 10:36 PM
- RUTGERS: 18
Mar 4 9:34 PM
- RUTGERS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 4 8:45 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2