Lady Mountaineers survive the Lady Longhorns' rally to advanceMar 17, 2012 - 8:48 PM Norfolk, VA (Sports Network) - Taylor Palmer netted 18 points to lead the eighth-seeded West Virginia Lady Mountaineers as they topped the Texas Lady Longhorns, 68-55, in a first round matchup of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Constant Convocation Center.
Asya Bussie added 12 points for WVU (24-9), while Jessica Harlee recorded a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.
Ashley Gayle led Texas (18-14) with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Ashleigh Fontenette contributed 10 points and four assists in the losing effort.
The Lady Mountaineers took a 31-18 lead into the intermission after they shot 54.2 percent from the floor in the opening period. Texas connected on only seven of its 32 field goal attempts to score a season-low 18 first-half points.
The Lady Longhorns put together a rally after the break and cut WVU's lead down to 51-48 with 5:40 left to play. The Lady Mountaineers scored the next eight points to end the threat and win comfortably.
WVU advances to play the winner the 1-16 seed matchup between Stanford and Hampton in the second round.
- TEXAS: 55
WEST VIRGINIA: 68
Mar 17 1:10 PM
- TEXAS: 18
WEST VIRGINIA: 31
Mar 17 11:56 AM
- TEXAS: 0
WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 11:11 AM
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Atkins and Texas overpowers Missouri 73-55 to Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- Missouri-Texas Preview Mar 20
- Muscular No. 10 Missouri's size a concern for No. 2 Texas Mar 20
- Big 3rd quarter sends Texas over Alabama State 86-42 Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19