Second-seeded Terps sink Navy in their NCAA Tournament openerMar 17, 2012 - 7:57 PM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Alyssa Thomas recorded a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds to lead Maryland to a 59-44 win over the 15th-seeded Navy Midshipmen in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at the Comcast Center.
Laurin Mincy added 14 points and six rebounds for Maryland (29-4), which advances to play the seventh-seeded Louisville Cardinals in the second round.
Jade Geif led Navy (18-14) with 14 points and seven rebounds.
The Terps took a 31-23 lead into the intermission after they dominated the rebounding battle, 27-14, in the opening period.
Maryland pulled away after the break as Navy managed to make just 1-of-12 from beyond the arc in the final 20 minutes.
The Terps held a 46-33 advantage in the rebounding battle and outscored the Midshipmen, 11-2, at the foul line.
- NAVY: 44
Mar 17 12:57 PM
- NAVY: 23
Mar 17 11:57 AM
- NAVY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 11:16 AM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 6 Maryland past Wisconsin, 83-77 Feb 25
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21