Kansas State edges Princeton to advance to second roundMar 17, 2012 - 9:08 PM Bridgeport, CT (Sports Network) - Branshea Brown scored 22 points and pulled down seven rebounds as the Kansas State Wildcats hung on for a narrow 67-64 victory over the Princeton Tigers in the first round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at Webster Bank Arena.
Jalana Childs finished with 15 points and eight rebounds for Kansas State (20-13), which will take on the Connecticut Huskies in the next round. Mariah White chipped in nine points and five assists for the Wildcats.
Niveen Rasheed scored 20 points, grabbed nine rebounds, and handed out six assists for Princeton (24-5), while Devona Allgood added 15 points and 12 rebounds. Lauren Edwards tallied 15 points for the Tigers, who had their 17- game winning streak snapped and came up just short of their first win in NCAA Tournament history.
The Wildcats took a 31-27 lead into halftime after they shot 39.4 percent from the field in the opening frame. Princeton fell behind despite connecting on 42.3 percent of its field goals, as it managed seven less shot attempts in the first half.
Kansas State kept the pressure on after the break by shooting 57.1 percent from the floor and converting 10-of-12 at the charity stripe in the final 20 minutes. Although the Tigers managed to cut KSU's lead down to 53-52 with 6:53 remaining, they were unable to tie the score or take the lead at any point in the second frame.
Despite the loss, Princeton held a 40-29 advantage in the rebounding battle.
- PRINCETON: 64
KANSAS STATE: 67
Mar 17 1:12 PM
- PRINCETON: 27
KANSAS STATE: 31
Mar 17 12:02 PM
- PRINCETON: 0
KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 11:21 AM
- Mitchell powers South Carolina into Sweet 16 with 73-47 win Mar 20
- Kansas St.-South Carolina Preview Mar 19
- Top seeded South Carolina led by dominating duo in NCAA play Mar 19
- Kansas State gets 1st NCAA tournament win since 2012 Mar 18
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Kansas St.-George Washington Preview Mar 17
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- Penn women beat Princeton 62-60 to win Ivy title Mar 8
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- Baylor wins at least share of sixth-straight Big 12 crown Feb 27
- Sanders sparks No. 8 Texas to 58-51 win over Kansas State Feb 17
- Jones perfect for No. 4 Baylor in 87-52 win over K-State Feb 3