Strong first half helps Lady Cardinals soar past Michigan StateMar 17, 2012 - 8:20 PM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Becky Burke scored a team-high 14 points as the seventh-seeded Louisville Lady Cardinals defeated the Michigan State Spartans, 67-55, in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at the Comcast Center.
Shawnta' Schimmel added 13 points off the bench for Louisville (23-9), while Bria Smith and Asia Taylor chipped in 10 points each. Shoni Schimmel contributed eight points, six assists, and six rebounds for the Lady Cardinals.
Klarissa Bell paced Michigan State (20-12) with 12 points and four assists.
Louisville took a comfortable 39-23 lead into halftime after it shot 45.2 percent from the field and drained 4-of-10 from beyond the arc in the opening period. The Spartans were limited to 35.7 percent shooting and connected on only 1-of-7 from distance in the first half.
The Lady Cardinals led by a double-digit margin for the entire second half.
The difference came at the free throw line as the Spartans converted only 2- of-6 from the foul line, while Louisville made 15-of-19 at the charity stripe.
The Lady Cardinals' victory advances them to the second round where they will face the No. 2 seed, Maryland.
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Louisville tops Central Arkansas 87-60, Hines-Allen Mar 18
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Cent. Arkansas-Louisville Preview Mar 17
- NCAA games in Louisville match 4 teams on late-season rolls Mar 17
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16