Lady Vols coast past Tennessee-Martin in first round actionMar 18, 2012 - 3:17 AM Chicago, Illinois (Sports Network) - Meighan Simmons scored a game-high 20 points as the second-seeded Tennessee Lady Volunteers made easy work of the 15th-seeded Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 72-49 in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at Allstate Arena.
Glory Johnson tallied a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds for Tennessee (25-8). Ten different players scored points for the Lady Vols.
For UT-Marin (23-9), Heather Butler led the way with 14 points and seven rebounds, while Jaclissa Haislip added 12 points and Jasmine Newsome chipped in with 10 points.
Despite shooting just 39.5 percent from the field in the first half, Tennessee took a 35-26 lead at the half.
The Lady Vols connected on 6-of-11 from three-point range after the break as they kept a comfortable lead throughout.
UT-Martin shot poorly on the afternoon, making just 19-of-66 (28.8 percent) of its field.
Tennessee will play seventh-seeded DePaul in the second round.
- UT-MARTIN: 49
Mar 17 5:53 PM
- UT-MARTIN: 26
Mar 17 4:50 PM
- UT-MARTIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 4:14 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21