Strong second half leads DePaul over BYUMar 18, 2012 - 1:19 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Anna Martin scored 17 points as the seventh- seeded DePaul Blue Demons held off the 10th-seeded BYU Cougars 59-55 in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at Allstate Arena.
Brittany Hrynko netted 15 points for DePaul (23-10), while Katherine Harry and Jasmine Penny added 12 points apiece.
For BYU (26-7), Jennifer Hamson notched 21 points and 11 rebounds, while Kristen Riley also tallied a double-double with 10 points and 12 boards.
Though BYU shot just 35.7 percent from the field in the first half, it went 7- of-8 from the foul line and took a 29-27 advantage into halftime.
The Blue Demons separated themselves from the Cougars after the break by opening the second half on a 14-0 run to take a 41-29 lead with 14:35 remaining. A three-point play from Hamson brought BYU back to within three, 56-53, with 1:23 left, but it would get no closer.
Awaiting DePaul in the second round is second-seeded Tennessee, which defeated Tennessee-Martin earlier in the day.
- BYU: 55
Mar 17 8:17 PM
- BYU: 29
Mar 17 7:10 PM
- BYU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 6:31 PM
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- Cunningham powers No. 10 Missouri over No. 7 BYU 78-69 Mar 19
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- Missouri-BYU Preview Mar 18
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- Proctor leads USF to 70-68 win over BYU in WCC title game Mar 8
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7