Hot first half leads Phoenix past CyclonesMar 18, 2012 - 2:13 AM Ames, IA (Sports Network) - Lydia Bauer and Sarah Eichler scored 16 points apiece as the seventh-seeded Green Bay Phoenix took care of the 10th-seeded Iowa State Cyclones 71-57 in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at James H. Hilton Coliseum.
Also scoring double figures for Green Bay (31-1) was Adrian Ritchie with 15 points and Julie Wojta with 14 points.
For Iowa State (18-13), Hallie Christofferson led the way with 12 points, while Lauren Mansfield and Chelsea Poppens scored 11 points each. Brynn Williamson and Nikki Moody chipped in with 10 points apiece.
Green Bay opened up a 42-23 lead after the first half behind 48.4 percent field goal shooting, including 9-of-18 from three-point range.
The Cyclones heated up after the break, making 50 percent of their field goals in the second stanza, but it was not enough to overcome the Phoenix.
Green Bay's nearly unblemished record will be put to the test in the second round when it faces off against second-seeded Kentucky.
- Iowa State's Bill Fennelly, sued by ex-star, defends self Apr 29
- Moody's attorney, Iowa State disagree on university ruling Apr 19
- APNewsBreak: Former Iowa St star Nikki Moody sues coach Apr 18
- Lady Vols pull away in final 6 minutes to beat Green Bay Mar 18
- Wis.-Green Bay-Tennessee Preview Mar 17
- Green Bay women rout Milwaukee, coast to Horizon title Mar 13
- Texas Tech women beat Iowa St. 89-84 in Big 12 tournament Mar 4
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- Williams has 32 as No. 23 Oklahoma women roll Iowa St. 85-54 Feb 27
- No. 4 Baylor women win 14th in a row, 78-41 over Iowa State Feb 20
- No. 24 West Virginia women close out Iowa State 57-47 Feb 10
- No. 6 Texas beats Iowa State 65-49 Feb 6