Cal captures win over Iowa in first roundMar 18, 2012 - 8:53 PM Notre Dame, IN (Sports Network) - Layshia Clarendon scored a game-high 16 points, leading five players in double figures, as California defeated Iowa, 84-74, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Purcell Pavilion.
Also scoring in double figures for the eighth-seeded Golden Bears (25-9) was Brittany Boyd who not only tallied 15 points, she filled out her stat line with eight assists, six rebounds and six steals. Off the bench, Reshanda Gray accounted for 14 points and six boards in just 13 minutes of action, followed by Gennifer Brandon and Talia Caldwell with 11 points apiece, the latter capturing a game-high nine rebounds as well.
The ninth-seeded Hawkeyes (19-12) were paced by Kamille Wahlin with 15 points, followed by Kelly Krei, Morgan Johnson and Theairra Taylor with 14 points each. Samantha Logic responded with a double-double consisting of 11 points and a game-high 11 assists in the loss.
Both teams shot the ball well from the field in the first half, hitting better than 51 percent from the floor, and even though Cal connected on just 1-of-7 behind the three-point line in the period, the Golden Bears were the ones who delivered a 42-33 lead at the break.
In the second half California dipped to 40.0 percent shooting from the field, but the team outscored Iowa at the free-throw line in the frame, 12-3, in order to keep the lead and cruise to the double-digit victory.
The Golden Bears, who will play Notre Dame in the second round, forced 18 turnovers and won the battle of the boards, 41-29.
- IOWA: 74
Mar 18 2:09 PM
- IOWA: 33
Mar 18 12:58 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 12:11 PM
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13
- No. 7 Ohio State blasts Iowa 98-81 for 8th straight win Feb 11
- Powers keys No. 17 Michigan St women in 74-69 win over Iowa Feb 7
- Balance lifts No. 25 Stanford women over California 60-55 Feb 6
- McCall, No. 15 Stanford women pull away; beat Cal 53-46 Feb 3
- Plum leads No. 25 Washington women past Cal 75-65 Jan 31