Baylor bowls over UCSB in NCAAMar 18, 2012 - 9:30 PM Bowling Green, OH (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner scored a game-high 14 points, leading five players in double figures, as Baylor remained undefeated with a resounding 81-40 win over UC Santa Barbara in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Stroh Center.
Griner, who played just 22 minutes in the meeting, registered a mere three rebounds and three blocked shots for the top-seeded Lady Bears (35-0) as they continued their quest towards 40 wins this season. Brooklyn Pope dropped in 13 points and cleared seven boards off the bench for Baylor, followed by Destiny Williams with 12 points on a perfect 5-of-5 shooting from the field. Reserves Sune Agbuke and Odyssey Sims accounted for 11 and 10 points, respectively.
The 16th-seeded Gauchos (17-16) were paced by Emilie Johnson who emerged as the lone double-digit scorer for the group with 10 points on 4-of-12 shooting from the field.
Baylor opened the meeting on a 12-0 run and never looked back, shooting a staggering 63.0 percent from the field in the first half in order to take a 46-16 lead into the break. UCSB converted just 6-of-27 (.222) from the floor through the first 20 minutes.
The second half was more of the same on both sides as the Lady Bears easily cruised to the 41-point victory thanks to 52.6 percent accuracy from the field.
Baylor, which is now set to meet ninth-seeded Florida in the second round of the Des Moines Regional, outscored the Gauchos at the charity stripe by a 23-6 margin.
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19
- Top-seeded Baylor women roll 89-59 over Idaho to NCAA opener Mar 18
- Idaho-Baylor Preview Mar 17