Oklahoma takes care of MichiganMar 19, 2012 - 2:20 AM Norman, OK (Sports Network) - Aaryn Ellenberg led five players in double figures with 28 points as the sixth-seeded Oklahoma Sooners toppled the 11th-seeded Michigan Wolverines 88-67 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Lloyd Noble Center.
Morgan Hook had 13 points, Whitney Hand put in 12 and brought down 10 rebounds while Kaylon Williams and Nicole Griffin each chipped in 10 points for Oklahoma (21-12). Up next the Sooners will battle third-seeded St. Johns.
Carmen Reynolds paced Michigan (20-12) with 20 points. Kate Thompson added 15, Courtney Boylan put in 12 and Sam Arnold netted 11 as well.
Michigan shot at a solid 56.0 percent from the floor in the first half but trailed 48-36 at the break as Oklahoma connected on 52.6 percent of its shots and outscored the Wolverines 13-2 on second chance points.
The Sooners led by double digits the remainder of the game despite slowing to 45.2 percent shooting. Michigan couldn't capitalize and cut into the lead by shooting only 33.3 percent in the second half.
Oklahoma held a 43-33 edge on the boards and outscored Michigan on points off turnovers (17-6) and second chance points (23-6).
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Jones leads No. 4 Baylor in 84-57 win over No. 24 Oklahoma Mar 6
- No. 24 Oklahoma women top rival OSU 61-43 in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- No. 24 Oklahoma women beat Texas Tech 70-60 Mar 1
- Williams has 32 as No. 23 Oklahoma women roll Iowa St. 85-54 Feb 27
- Jones leads No. 4 Baylor past No. 23 Oklahoma 78-70 Feb 23
- No. 20 Oklahoma women top Kansas 72-66 Feb 20