Duke rolls over Samford to move onMar 19, 2012 - 2:36 AM Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Tricia Liston scored 21 points to lead four players in double figures for the second-seeded Duke Blue Devils as they routed the 15th-seeded Samford Bulldogs, 82-47, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Memorial Gymnasium.
Chelsea Gray had 16 points, six rebounds and six assists, Haley Peters netted 13 points and brought down seven rebounds while Elizabeth Williams chipped in 11 points for Duke (25-5) which will take on seventh-seeded Vanderbilt in the second round.
Taylor Reece finished with 10 points as the only player in double figures for Samford (20-13).
Duke coasted to a 40-22 halftime advantage by shooting 55.6 percent from the field and limiting Samford to only seven field goals and 25.0 percent shooting in the frist twenty minutes.
The second half was more of the same as the Blue Devils hit on 48.1 percent of it's shots aand went 14-for-16 from the free throw line on their way to the win.
Duke outscored Stamford 38-12 on points in the paint and 26-12 on points off turnovers while holding a 41-23 edge on the glass.
- SAMFORD: 47
Mar 18 9:26 PM
- SAMFORD: 22
Mar 18 8:23 PM
- SAMFORD: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 7:41 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15
- Defense dominates as Louisville women whip No. 18 Duke 65-48 Jan 10