LSU rallies to take down San Diego State in first roundMar 19, 2012 - 2:36 AM Baton Rouge, LA (Sports Network) - LaSondra Barrett scored 17 points and brought down 10 rebounds as the fifth-seeded LSU Lady Tigers stormed back to take down the 12th-seeded San Diego State Aztecs 64-56 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Pete Maravich Center.
Courtney Jones had 13 points and eight rebounds while Jeanne Kenney chipped in 10 points for LSU (23-10) which advances to the second round where the Lady Tigers will face fourth-seeded Penn State.
Courtney Clements had 17 points and Chelsea Hopkins put in 16 and handed out seven assists for San Diego State (25-7).
The teams had identical 37.9 percent shooting efforts in the first half and entered the break tied 27-27.
LSU trailed by six with 10 minutes to play but then ripped off a 15-2 run to reclaim the lead, which the Lady Tigers would never surrender as they turned in a 22-for-28 effort from the free throw line over the final twenty minutes to overcome a paltry 38.9 filed goal percentage.
The Lady Tigers held a 43-32 edge on the boards. The Aztecs didn't take advantage of their free throw opportunities hitting on only 7-of-20 attempts from the charity stripe.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 56
Mar 18 9:58 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 27
Mar 18 8:36 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 7:53 PM
- No. 22 Colorado State women beat Aztecs 53-41 in MWC semis Mar 8
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- LSU hands No. 24 Tennessee women 2nd loss in 3 games 57-56 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women pull away in 4th, beat LSU 68-54 Feb 18
- Thompson sparks No. 18 Kentucky women to 70-58 win over LSU Feb 7
- Vivians leads No. 11 Mississippi State to 71-52 win over LSU Feb 4
- Cunningham, No. 22 Missouri women beat LSU 52-46 Jan 28
- No. 20 Florida women rally to defeat LSU 53-45 Jan 17
- No. 13 Texas A&M women pull away from LSU 53-35 Jan 10
- Top-ranked UConn routs LSU 86-40 despite Stewart's absence Dec 21