Second-seeded Terps edge Louisville to advance to Sweet 16Mar 20, 2012 - 3:40 AM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Laurin Mincy scored a game-high 24 points to lead the second-seeded Maryland Terrapins to a 72-68 victory over the seventh-seeded Louisville Lady Cardinals in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Comcast Center.
Tianna Hawkins contributed a double-double of 15 points and 14 rebounds for Maryland (30-4), which won its ninth game in a row.
Shoni Schimmel led Louisville (23-10) with 22 points and nine assists. Shawnta' Dyer chipped in 17 points and Bria Smith netted 12 points for the Lady Cardinals.
The Terps took a narrow 31-29 lead into halftime after they shot 41.4 percent from the floor in the opening period. Louisville went into the intermission trailing after it went 4-of-8 from the charity stripe in the first half.
The Lady Cardinals had the ball trailing 71-68 in the final seconds, but Mincy's defense caused Becky Burke's potential game-tying three-point attempt to fall short.
Louisville made only 3-of-19 from beyond the arc in the contest. Maryland held a 41-35 advantage in the rebounding battle.
The Terps advance to the Sweet 16 to face Texas A&M.
- LOUISVILLE: 68
Mar 19 9:12 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 29
Mar 19 8:01 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 7:11 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- Louisville tops Central Arkansas 87-60, Hines-Allen Mar 18
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- Cent. Arkansas-Louisville Preview Mar 17
- NCAA games in Louisville match 4 teams on late-season rolls Mar 17
- Louisville coach writes to fans' bosses about skipping work Mar 16