Texas A&M holds off late Arkansas rally to advanceMar 20, 2012 - 4:30 AM College Station, TX (Sports Network) - Adaora Elonu scored a game-high 23 points as the third-seeded Texas A&M Aggies fended off a furious comeback attempt by the sixth-seeded Arkansas Razorbacks to win 61-59 in the second round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at Reed Arena.
While no other players tallied double digit points for Texas A&M (24-10), Kelsey Bone grabbed 10 rebounds and Adrienne Pratcher dished out six assists.
For Arkansas (24-9), Quistelle Williams put up 14 points and eight boards, Lyndsay Harris scored 13 points, and C'eira Ricketts and Sarah Watkins netted 10 apiece.
The Aggies shot 45.8 percent in the first half, which helped open up a 27-20 lead at the break.
Texas A&M appeared to have a comfortable 53-40 lead with 7:32 left in the game, but Arkansas ripped off a 19-5 run to take a 59-58 advantage at the 1:21 mark. The Aggies then retook the lead, 60-59, after Sydney Carter hit two free-throws with 23 seconds left. The Razorbacks were left with one more possession to try and win the game, but a Williams jumper did not fall. Arkansas fouled Texas A&M with one second remaining, and Tyra White hit 1-of-2 from the line, but not enough time was left for the Razorbacks to put up a last shot.
Texas A&M will play second-seeded Maryland in the Sweet 16.
- ARKANSAS: 59
TEXAS A&M: 61
Mar 19 11:34 PM
- ARKANSAS: 20
TEXAS A&M: 27
Mar 19 10:19 PM
- ARKANSAS: 0
TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 9:36 PM
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Howard sets NCAA Tournament rebound record in Aggies win Mar 19
- Texas A&M suspends Courtney Williams and Shlonte Allen Mar 19
- Missouri St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 18
- Tennessee women beat No. 15 A&M 70-60 for 3rd straight win Mar 4
- Tennessee women beat Arkansas 68-51 to bolster NCAA resume Mar 3
- No. 15 Kentucky women defeat No. 11 Texas A&M 71-58 Feb 28
- No. 11 Texas A&M women win 6th straight, beat Auburn 57-49 Feb 25
- No. 12 Texas A&M women win 20th, beat Vanderbilt 75-63 Feb 21
- No. 16 Kentucky women beat Arkansas 77-63 Feb 21