11th-seeded Gonzaga continues improbable run to Sweet 16Mar 20, 2012 - 4:22 AM Spokane, WA (Sports Network) - Kayla Standish tallied 19 points and eight rebounds as the 11th-seeded Gonzaga Bulldogs pulled off an upset over the third-seeded Miami-Florida Hurricanes 65-54 in second round action of the NCAA Women's Tournament at McCarthey Athletic Center.
Katelan Redmon scored 16 points and Haiden Palmer added 15 points for Gonzaga (28-5). Redmon and Palmer also grabbed eight boards each for the Bulldogs, who advance to play second-seeded Kentucky in the Sweet 16.
For Miami (26-6), Shenise Johnson posted a game-high 20 points and 13 rebounds, while Shawnice Wilson netted 12 points.
The first half was mostly a back-and-forth affair, but Gonzaga was able to take a 30-27 advantage into the break by connecting on 42.4 percent of its field goals. Miami shot just 34.5 percent from the field in the opening stanza.
The teams spend most of the second half within a possession of one another, but after going down 46-45 with 6:02 remaining, the Bulldogs went on a 20-8 run down the stretch to pull away.
The Hurricanes shot just 1-of-12 from three-point range on the evening.
- GONZAGA: 65
Mar 19 11:33 PM
- GONZAGA: 30
Mar 19 10:22 PM
- GONZAGA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 9:41 PM
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25
- Hof leads No. 18 Miami women to 67-56 OT win over Va Tech Feb 21
- No. 3 Notre Dame women rout No. 19 Miami 90-69 Feb 14
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 16 Miami women pull away from Boston College 67-62 Feb 4