Griner dunks Florida, leads Lady Bears to Sweet 16Mar 21, 2012 - 2:37 AM Bowling Green, OH (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner registered a game-high 25 points, leading all five starters in double figures, as Baylor delivered a 76-57 win against Florida in the second round of the Des Moines Regional of the NCAA Tournament at the Stroh Center.
Griner, who also became just the second woman ever to dunk in an NCAA Tournament contest, posted nine rebounds, six blocked shots and four assists for the top-seeded Lady Bears (36-0) as they continued their quest for a 40-win campaign.
Odyssey Sims added 14 points, Jordan Madden 13 and both Kimetria Hayden and Destiny Williams with 11 points apiece, the latter also clearing a game-high 13 boards.
The ninth-seeded Gators (20-13) were paced by Azania Stewart with 14 points, followed by Deana Allen and Lanita Bartley with 13 and 11 points, respectively.
Baylor struggled a bit in the first half, the team, shooting just 37.1 percent from the floor, but with the Gators converting just 2-of-9 behind the three- point line in the period the Bears were able to post a 35-26 lead at the break.
In the second half Baylor picked up the pace at both ends of the floor, limiting Florida to just 30.8 percent shooting from the field while the Bears themselves knocked down 55.0 percent in order to cruise to the 19-point win.
Florida, which turned the ball over 18 times, shot just 4-of-19 beyond the arc and was outscored at the free-throw line, 24-7.
With the victory the Lady Bears are set to clash with fourth-seeded Georgia Tech in the round of 16 this coming weekend. Baylor is in the Sweet 16 for the fourth straight year.
- FLORIDA: 57
Mar 20 9:05 PM
- FLORIDA: 26
Mar 20 7:52 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 20 7:07 PM
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19
- Top-seeded Baylor women roll 89-59 over Idaho to NCAA opener Mar 18
- Albany-Florida game ends with the wrong score after mistake Mar 18