Bonnies bounce Red Foxes in second roundMar 21, 2012 - 3:11 AM Tallahassee, FL (Sports Network) - A pair of free throws by CeCe Dixon with 23 seconds remaining helped to give St. Bonaventure some breathing room as the Bonnies held on for a 66-63 win over Marist in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Tucker Center.
Leading the way on offense for the fifth-seeded Bonnies (31-3) was Jessica Jenkins with a game-high 22 points, shooting 6-of-12 behind the three-point line, while Doris Ortega recorded a double-double with 13 points and a game- high 10 rebounds and Armelia Horton tacked on 10 points.
The 13th-seeded Red Foxes (26-8) were paced by Brandy Gang with 19 points, while Corielle Yarde produced 13 points and Kelsey Beynnon 12 and six boards in the loss.
The Bonnies made good on an impressive 54.2 percent from the field in the first half, including 4-of-7 behind the three-point line, in order to take a 38-31 lead at the break.
In the second half a layup by Yarde with 12:23 to play put Marist ahead by a score of 47-44, but the advantage was short-lived as St. Bonaventure responded by moving out to a seven-point lead several times down the stretch before hanging on for the victory.
St. Bonaventure, which is now slated to take on the top seed in the Raleigh Region, Notre Dame, in the round of 16 this weekend, won the rebounding battle by a 40-26 margin.
- MARIST: 63
ST. BONAVENTURE: 66
Mar 20 9:02 PM
- MARIST: 31
ST. BONAVENTURE: 38
Mar 20 7:58 PM
- MARIST: 0
ST. BONAVENTURE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 20 7:12 PM
- Weisner leads Oregon State past St. Bonaventure 69-40 Mar 21
- St. Bonaventure-Oregon St. Preview Mar 19
- Bonnies brimming with confidence after first-round upset Mar 19
- Healy leads St. Bonaventure past Oklahoma State, 65-54 Mar 18
- St. Bonaventure-Oklahoma St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 Louisville women pull away to beat Marist 65-53 Nov 27
- Second half surge leads Iowa to tourney win Mar 23
- Spartans deny upset-minded Red Foxes Mar 23
- No. 7 Kentucky thumps Marist Dec 30
- Notre Dame Elite Eight bound after blowing out the Bonnies Mar 25
- Bonnies bounce back against Florida Gulf Coast Mar 18