Lady Lions log double-digit win versus LSUMar 21, 2012 - 4:58 AM Baton Rouge, LA (Sports Network) - Maggie Lucas scored a game-high 30 points, leading five players in double figures, as the Penn State Lady Lions posted a 90-80 win over the Lady Tigers of LSU in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Maravich Center.
Ariel Edwards added 15 points off the bench for the fourth-seeded Lady Lions (26-6) and Mia Nickson 14 and a team-best 10 rebounds. Alex Bentley and Zhaque Gray chipped in 10 points apiece as well.
The fifth-seeded Lady Tigers (23-11) were led by LaSondra Barrett who delivered 18 points, 12 rebounds and six assists in the setback. Also registering a double-double for the locals was Bianca Lutley with 14 points and 10 boards. Krystal Forthan dropped 15 points, Adrienne Webb 11 and Theresa Plaisance 10 points off the bench.
PSU opened the meeting on a 9-0 run, but the squad shot just 38.7 percent from the floor in the period and that allowed the Lady Tigers to battle back and eventually claim a 37-36 edge at the break.
In the second half Penn State connected on 50.0 percent from the field and outscored LSU at the free-throw line, 19-11, en route to the double-digit victory.
PSU, which forced 18 turnovers and held LSU to just 4-of-17 shooting behind the three-point line, heads to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2004 where it will take on top-seeded UConn in the Kingston Region.
- LSU: 80
PENN STATE: 90
Mar 20 11:49 PM
- LSU: 37
PENN STATE: 36
Mar 20 10:30 PM
- LSU: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 20 9:42 PM
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- LSU hands No. 24 Tennessee women 2nd loss in 3 games 57-56 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women pull away in 4th, beat LSU 68-54 Feb 18
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Thompson sparks No. 18 Kentucky women to 70-58 win over LSU Feb 7
- Vivians leads No. 11 Mississippi State to 71-52 win over LSU Feb 4
- Cunningham, No. 22 Missouri women beat LSU 52-46 Jan 28