Red Stormin' in Norman, St. John's advances to first-ever Sweet 16Mar 21, 2012 - 5:11 AM Norman, OK (Sports Network) - Eugeneia McPherson scored a game-high 21 points, leading four players in double figures, as St. John's posted a 74-70 win over Oklahoma in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Lloyd Noble Center.
Shenneika Smith contributed 18 points for the third-seeded Red Storm (24-9), followed by Nadirah McKenith and Da'Shena Stevens chipped in 13 and 11 points, respectively.
The sixth-seeded Sooners (21-13) were paced by Whitney Hand with 16 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, while Nicole Griffin and Morgan Hook 12 and 10 points, respectively.
Oklahoma shot an impressive 56.5 percent from the field in the first half and also knocked down all nine chances at the free-throw line in the period, yet the squad still trailed by three points at the break, 39-36.
In the second half the Sooners were able to battle back and post a three-point lead of their own just over three minutes into the frame, but the locals made a total of just 10 field goals in the period, allowing the Red Storm to surge for the four-point win.
In a game that experienced 13 ties and eight lead changes, Oklahoma hurt itself with 19 turnovers as it was turned back from making the Sweet 16 for the fourth straight campaign.
St. John's had never made it to the round of 16 before tonight and is now set to take on Duke, the second seed in the Fresno Region, this weekend.
- OKLAHOMA: 70
ST. JOHN'S: 74
Mar 20 11:49 PM
- OKLAHOMA: 36
ST. JOHN'S: 39
Mar 20 10:33 PM
- OKLAHOMA: 0
ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 20 9:48 PM
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women beat Creighton for trip to NCAA tourney Mar 8
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- Jones leads No. 4 Baylor in 84-57 win over No. 24 Oklahoma Mar 6
- No. 24 Oklahoma women top rival OSU 61-43 in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- No. 24 Oklahoma women beat Texas Tech 70-60 Mar 1