Baylor slams Georgia Tech and rolls into Elite EightMar 24, 2012 - 9:16 PM Des Moines, IA (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner was as dominant as ever scoring 35 points, ripping down 10 rebounds and blocking six shots as the top- seeded Baylor Lady Bears routed fourth-seed Georgia Tech 83-68 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at Wells Fargo Arena.
Destiny Williams scored 18 points and Odyssey Sims added 11 for Baylor (37-0) which will face off with second seed Tennessee in the regional final of the Des Moines region with a spot in the Final Four up for grabs on Monday. Griner dunked for the second straight game during the contest sending in a two-handed slam late in the second half. It was the seventh dunk of her career and ties Candace Parker for the most in NCAA Tournament history.
Tyaunna Marshall and Metra Walthour each scored 10 points for Georgia Tech (26-9) which was playing in the Sweet 16 for the first time in program history after a season in which the Yellow Jackets set a school record for wins.
Georgia Tech led 10-6 early in the first half but Baylor then went on a 20-0 run and never really looked back. The Lady Bears led by as many as 20 in the first half and held a 42-26 advantage at halftime after shooting 53.3 percent in the opening period. On the other side Georgia Tech struggled to just 30.0 percent.
Baylor kept up the pressure in the second half and stretched its lead to as much as 31 after Griner's dunk with 6:29 left on the clock.
Led by Griner the Lady Bears outscored the Yellow Jackets 54-16 on points in the paint. Georgia Tech held a 44-33 edge on the boards and outscored Baylor 21-12 on second chance points. Baylor blocked 10 shots as a team and forced 11 turnovers which the Lady Bears converted into 25 points.
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19
- Top-seeded Baylor women roll 89-59 over Idaho to NCAA opener Mar 18
- Idaho-Baylor Preview Mar 17