Maryland mounts late comeback to advance to Elite EightMar 25, 2012 - 8:28 PM Raleigh, NC (Sports Network) - Laurin Mincy and Alyssa Thomas each tallied 21 points to help the second-seeded Maryland Terrapins erase an 11-point deficit with 11 minutes to play to take down the third-seeded Texas A&M Aggies 81-74 in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Women's Tournament at PNC Arena.
Mincy also added a game-high 12 rebounds for Maryland (31-4), while Lynetta Kizer scored 15 points and Tianna Hawkins chipped in with 12 points.
For Texas A&M (24-11), Alexia Standish led the way with 19 points and Sydney Carter recorded 13 points, seven assists, and six rebounds. Kelsey Bone, Skylar Collins, and Karla Gilbert each poured in 10 points for the Aggies.
Texas A&M took control of the game early, opening up with a 12-2 run. Following a Standish layup with 7:10 remaining in the first half, the Aggies held a commanding 18-point lead, 36-18. Maryland would finish the frame off red-hot however, going on a 23-8 run to close the gap to just three, 44-41, heading into the break.
The Terrapins scored the first bucket of the second half to get to within one, 44-43, but the momentum then swayed back to the Aggies, as they ripped off eight straight points and eventually held a 68-57 lead with 11:17 left in the game. Maryland was able to fight back yet again, chipping away down the stretch and taking a 73-72 lead at the 4:07 mark. Standish answered for Texas A&M on the very next possession to take back the lead, 74-73, but Maryland scored eight unanswered points to close out the game.
Maryland advances to the Elite Eight, where it will take on top-seeded Notre Dame.
- TEXAS A&M: 74
Mar 25 1:58 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 44
Mar 25 12:48 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 25 12:06 PM
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Howard sets NCAA Tournament rebound record in Aggies win Mar 19
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Texas A&M suspends Courtney Williams and Shlonte Allen Mar 19
- Missouri St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 18
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16