Notre Dame Elite Eight bound after blowing out the BonniesMar 25, 2012 - 8:34 PM Raleigh, NC (Sports Network) - Natalie Novosel paced all scorers with 16 points as the top-seeded Notre Dame Fighting Irish made easy work of the fifth-seeded St. Bonaventure Bonnies 79-35 in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Women's Tournament at PNC Arena.
Kaila Turner scored 14 points and Kayla McBride added 10 points for Notre Dame (33-3), while Devereaux Peters grabbed 10 rebounds.
For St. Bonaventure (31-4), Cece Dixon tallied 13 points and Doris Ortega chipped in 11 points.
The dominance for Notre Dame started early, as it opened the game on a 16-2 run and finished the first half with a commanding 35-13 lead. The Irish made 42.4 percent of their field goals in the opening stanza, while St. Bonaventure shot a woeful 5-of-26 from the floor and committed 15 turnovers.
Notre Dame didn't let off the gas pedal in the second half either, outscoring the Bonnies 44-22 after the break to cruise to the victory.
The Bonnies connected on a dreadful 18.8 percent of their field goals on the afternoon, including just 1-of-12 from three-point range.
Notre Dame's next test will come against second-seeded Maryland, with the winner advancing the Final Four in Denver.
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Weisner leads Oregon State past St. Bonaventure 69-40 Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- St. Bonaventure-Oregon St. Preview Mar 19
- Bonnies brimming with confidence after first-round upset Mar 19