The Huskies slow down Penn State to advance to regional finalMar 26, 2012 - 1:08 AM Kingston, RI (Sports Network) - Bria Hartley scored 20 points to lead the top- seeded Connecticut Huskies to a 77-59 victory over the fourth-seeded Penn State Lady Lions in the Sweet Sixteen of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Thomas. M Ryan Center.
Kelly Faris added 15 points to help UConn (32-4) advance to the Elite 8 for the seventh season in a row. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis recorded a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds while Stefanie Dolson and Tiffany Hayes scored 10 points each.
Mia Nickson scored 19 points to lead Penn State (26-7), while Maggie Lucas netted 15 points. Alex Bentley chipped in 11 points and Talia East grabbed 10 rebounds for the Lady Lions. who had averaged 87.5 ppg in their first two games of the tourney.
The Huskies took a 43-29 lead into halftime after they shot 50 percent from the floor in the opening period. Penn State made only 32.3 percent of its field goal attempts in the first half.
UConn shot 48.4 percent from the field in the second half to stay ahead.
The Huskies held a 44-30 advantage in the rebounding battle and forced Penn State into 15 turnovers.
UConn will face Kentucky in the Elite 8.
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2