Notre Dame takes down Maryland to return to the Final FourMar 28, 2012 - 3:54 AM Raleigh, NC (Sports Network) - Skylar Diggins recorded a triple-double with 22 points, 11 assists, and 10 rebounds to push the Notre Dame Fighting Irish as they defeated Maryland, 80-49, in the Raleigh Regional final of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at PNC Arena.
Natalie Achonwa added 18 points for Notre Dame (34-3), while Kayla McBride scored 16 points and Natalie Novosel netted 14.
Alyssa Thomas had 17 points and six rebounds for Maryland (31-5), which received 10-point contributions from Tianna Hawkins and Alicia DeVaughn. The Terps were denied their first Final Four trip since winning the 2006 national title.
Notre Dame took a sizeable 40-21 lead into halftime after it hit 42.9 percent of its field goal attempts and converted 8-of-10 at the charity stripe in the first period. The Terps fell behind after they shot only 38.5 percent from the field in the first half.
Maryland continued to struggle after the break, as it went 0-of-5 from distance in the second half. The Fighting Irish connected on 56.7 percent of their field goal tries in the final 20 minutes to extend their lead.
Notre Dame held a 46-27 advantage in the rebounding battle and forced Maryland into 21 turnovers to control the game.
The Fighting Irish will square off with their Big East rival Connecticut in the Final Four. Notre Dame also reached the Final Four in 2010-2011.
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19