No. 2 Connecticut handles MarylandDec 4, 2012 - 2:32 AM
Breanna Stewart netted 13 points and grabbed six rebounds, while Brianna Banks added 11 points on 4-of-7 from the floor for UConn (7-0), which had won each of its previous six games this season by at least 31 points. Kelly Faris donated eight points, seven assists and seven boards in the triumph.
Tianna Hawkins put home 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds and Chloe Pavlech contributed 10 points for the Terrapins (4-2) who saw a two-game winning streak come to an end. Alicia DeVaughn gave eight points and nine boards in the loss.
UConn came out the gate quickly, hitting six of its first 11 shots to build a 13-4 lead 5 1/2 minutes into the game. Maryland hung tough and used an 11-4 run to cut the deficit to 17-15 with just over six minutes left in the half.
But, the Huskies responded with 10 straight points to push the advantage back to 27-15 with a little more than three minutes on the clock. UConn held a 33-20 advantage at halftime.
Maryland shot just 7-of-31 from the field during the opening 20 minutes and turned the ball over an astounding 19 times.
The Terps hung around for most of the second half as a layup by Pavlech with 12:59 to play made it a 40-33, but the Huskies responded with eight consecutive points to widen the margin to 48-33 with 10:08 to play.
UConn cruised the rest of the way.
- MARYLAND: 48
Dec 3 8:59 PM
- MARYLAND: 20
Dec 3 7:48 PM
- MARYLAND: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 3 7:04 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2