Thomas, Terrapins trounce TigersDec 12, 2012 - 3:20 AM Towson, MD (Sports Network) - Alyssa Thomas tallied a double-double with 23 points and 13 rebounds to lead the No.10 Maryland Terrapins to 88-43 blowout victory over the Towson Tigers on Tuesday.
Katie Rutan followed with 16 points on 5-of-11 shooting while Tianna Hawkins finished with 14 points to go with seven rebounds for Maryland (7-2), which won its third contest in a row.
Alicia DeVaughn totaled 12 points and six boards in the win.
Ciara Webb scored 12 points and was the only one in double-figures for the Tigers (4-4), who shot just 29.1 percent from the field in losing their third straight game.
Thomas got going early, connecting on her first three shots to put Maryland ahead 13-4 less than four minutes in. Tanisha McTiller knocked down a jumper for Towson to pull them within four at 15-11, but the Terps followed with an 18-2 run to build a 20-point lead and break the game open.
Maryland took a 43-21 advantage into halftime and extended its lead to 43 points midway through the second half on a layup by DeVaughn.
The Terrapins went up by as many as 49 points at 82-33 with 4:04 to play before the final buzzer.
- MARYLAND: 88
Dec 11 8:51 PM
- MARYLAND: 43
Dec 11 7:46 PM
- MARYLAND: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 11 7:08 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 6 Maryland past Wisconsin, 83-77 Feb 25
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21