Boyd, No. 8 Cal top NorthwesternDec 17, 2012 - 7:46 PM Evanston, IL (Sports Network) - Brittany Boyd filled the stat sheet with 18 points, five assists, five steals and four rebounds in No. 8 California's 71-65 win over Northwestern.
Talia Caldwell netted 16 points to go with six boards for the Golden Bears (8-1), who have won two straight since dropping their first game of the season at Duke on Dec. 2.
Karly Roser recorded 16 points and seven assists for Northwestern (6-4), which has dropped four consecutive contests.
A pair of Lauren Douglas free throws cut the Wildcats' deficit to 59-58 with 2:13 left, but Cal netted the next five points to seal the outcome.
Caldwell split two free throws at the other end, and after Roser turned the ball over, Caldwell made a layup to make it 62-58. Kendall Hackney then missed a layup for Northwestern and Layshia Clarendon's jumper gave the Golden Bears a 64-58 edge with 45 ticks left.
The visitors sunk seven of their eight free throws down the stretch to secure the victory.
Cal took a slim 33-32 cushion into the locker room at halftime.
- CALIFORNIA: 71
Dec 17 2:19 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 33
Dec 17 12:53 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 17 12:08 PM
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Coffey, Northwestern women upset Indiana in Big Ten Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- Coffey helps Northwestern women top Minnesota 84-74 Mar 3
- Short-handed Northwestern women beat Wisconsin 76-72 in OT Mar 2
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 79-70 Feb 14
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13
- Minnesota's Banham ties NCAA record with 60 points Feb 7
- Balance lifts No. 25 Stanford women over California 60-55 Feb 6