Golden Bears hang on against JayhawksDec 22, 2012 - 5:46 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Layshia Clarendon scored 28 points and the No.8 California Golden Bears held on to defeat the No.19 Kansas Jayhawks, 88-79, on Friday.
Gennifer Brandon notched a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds, while Reshanda Gray tallied 13 points and seven rebounds for California (9-1), which won its third straight since losing to Duke on Nov. 30.
Angel Goodrich scored a team-high 21 points for the Jayhawks (9-2), who have dropped two of their last four games. Carolyn Davis had 16 points in the setback.
Brittany Boyd's layup at the end of the first half extended the Golden Bears' lead to 42-35 at halftime.
Natalie Knight twice pulled the Jayhawks to within two in the second half, but Kansas never came any closer.
Her triple just over two minutes in made it 48-46. She then sank a pair of free throws at the 13:06 mark to make it 54-52, but the Golden Bears pulled away several minutes later.
Davis knocked down two free throws to make it a four-point game with six minutes left, but the Golden Bears then rallied off five straight points to build a nine-point cushion to seal the win.
- KANSAS: 79
Dec 21 11:51 PM
- KANSAS: 35
Dec 21 10:46 PM
- KANSAS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 10:08 PM
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- Rodrigo scores 13, leads No. 6 Texas past Kansas 66-50 Mar 6
- Kansas stuns TCU 81-64 to snap 20-game losing streak Mar 5
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- No. 22 Oklahoma State women beat Kansas 71-49 Feb 24
- No. 20 Oklahoma women top Kansas 72-66 Feb 20
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13
- No. 4 Baylor women win 10th straight, 81-49 over Kansas Feb 6
- Balance lifts No. 25 Stanford women over California 60-55 Feb 6
- McCall, No. 15 Stanford women pull away; beat Cal 53-46 Feb 3