Tar Heels hold on to top No. 8 MarylandJan 4, 2013 - 2:33 AM North Carolina to a 60-57 victory over eighth-ranked Maryland in a key Atlantic Coast Conference clash.
Ruffin-Pratt added six rebounds and five assists for the Tar Heels (14-1), who overcame an early 10-point deficit to notch their seventh consecutive win. Waltiea Rolle posted 12 points and nine boards in the triumph.
Maryland (10-3) saw a six-game win streak come to an end despite a 23-point, 13-rebound performance from Tianna Hawkins and a 15-point, 16-board effort out of Alyssa Thomas.
The Terrapins owned a 24-14 lead with just over six minutes left in the opening half and were ahead by a 35-29 count at the break, but North Carolina began the second period with a 17-1 run and built a 46-36 lead on Latifah Coleman's 3-pointer with 13:07 left to play.
Maryland netted eight straight points, capped by Thomas' jumper with 13 seconds left, to pull within 59-57, and had a chance to force overtime after UNC's Danielle Butts hit just 1-of-2 free throws with 10 seconds remaining. However, Katie Rutan's 3-point try in the final stages missed the mark as the Tar Heels held on.
- MARYLAND: 57
NORTH CAROLINA: 60
Jan 3 9:01 PM
- MARYLAND: 35
NORTH CAROLINA: 29
Jan 3 7:52 PM
- MARYLAND: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 3 7:05 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 6 Maryland past Wisconsin, 83-77 Feb 25