No. 8 Penn State handles NebraskaJan 13, 2013 - 9:34 PM University Park, PA (Sports Network) - Alex Bentley scored 19 points on 8- of-17 shooting and grabbed five rebounds as the eighth-ranked Penn State Nittany Lions dropped Nebraska, 80-58, at Bryce Jordan Center on Sunday.
Maggie Lucas added 19 points and Ariel Edwards chipped in 15 on 6-of-8 shooting along and six rebounds off the bench for Penn State (13-2, 3-0 Big Ten), which has won seven straight since a loss to No. 3 Connecticut last month.
Nikki Greene contributed nine points and 10 boards for the Lions, while Mia Nickson added 11 rebounds in the triumph.
Emily Cady scored a team-high 17 points and ripped down nine rebounds for Nebraska (12-5, 2-2), which had won six of its last seven coming in. Jordan Hooper added 11 points and nine rebounds, with Lindsey Moore finishing with 11 and five rebounds in the setback.
Nebraska hung around for most of the first half, and a pair of free throws by Cady gave the Cornhuskers a 16-15 lead with 7:46 to play in the period.
But Penn State pulled away over the remaining seven-plus minutes, closing the first half with a 25-11 rally to head into the locker room with a 40-27 advantage.
Nebraska shot just 29 percent from the floor in the first stanza, including 4- of-12 from beyond the arc, while turning the ball over 13 times.
Penn State began the second half with a 15-4 run to open a 55-31 lead less than five minutes in, then cruised the rest of the way to the easy win.
- NEBRASKA: 58
PENN STATE: 80
Jan 13 3:52 PM
- NEBRASKA: 27
PENN STATE: 40
Jan 13 2:48 PM
- NEBRASKA: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 13 2:03 PM
- New Nebraska women's assistants will be paid $140,000 each Apr 25
- New Nebraska women's coach has fewer perks in contract Apr 19
- Building trust top priority for new Nebraska women's coach Apr 12
- Huskers act quickly to replace Yori, hire SD's Amy Williams Apr 11
- Nebraska's Natalie Romeo: 'Immature' players pushed out Yori Apr 9
- Huskers pay women's coach Connie Yori $1.2 million to leave Apr 7
- Nebraska coach Connie Yori resigns after 14 seasons Apr 5
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- Hart scores 18, No. 5 Ohio State routs Nebraska 96-70 Feb 18
- Nebraska women take down No. 17 Michigan State 73-66 Feb 14