No. 7 Cal cruises past No. 5 StanfordJan 14, 2013 - 12:32 AM Stanford, CA (Sports Network) - Brittany Boyd poured in a game-high 19 points to lead seventh-ranked California to a 67-55 win over No. 5 Stanford on Sunday.
Gennifer Brandon notched a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds, Mikayla Lyles added 14 points and seven rebounds, and Layshia Clarendon finished with 14 points for the Golden Bears (13-2, 3-1 Pac-12), who bounced back from a 62-53 home loss to Stanford on Tuesday.
Chiney Ogwumike scored 18 points to go with nine rebounds and Toni Kokenis added 12 points for the Cardinal (14-2, 3-1), who had an 81-game Pac-12 winning streak snapped that dated back to Jan. 18, 2009 when the Bears also defeated Stanford (57-54).
Cal trailed 12-6 following an Amber Orrange jumper with 7 1/2 minutes gone in the first half, but the Golden Bears used a 17-6 run to take a 23-18 lead and never looked back.
Lyles buried a 3-pointer with just over two minutes left in the half to push the margin to 34-25 before the Bears carried a 39-31 edge into the break.
Two free throws from Kokenis pulled the Cardinal within 47-39 with 13:39 remaining, but it would be as close as they would get the rest of the way.
Clarendon drilled a 3-pointer three minutes later, igniting a 10-2 run to give Cal a 57-41 lead with 7:43 remaining.
Cal led by double-digits the rest of the way en route to the victory.
- CALIFORNIA: 67
Jan 13 6:14 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 39
Jan 13 4:57 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 13 4:16 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18